How to know if my WhatsApp was hacked
WhatsApp Messenger is one of the most used social networks in the world. Millions of users interact through its messaging and video calling service, sending and receiving personal information that, depending on the Internet to share, must always be a risk. Some fraudsters recently doing the WhatsApp Hacked.
If you are concerned about the security of your chats on WhatsApp, leave your fears behind. In this article we explain how to know if my WhatsApp was hacked step by step. With these simple methods you can verify the security of your account and protect your privacy in this social network.
How to know if my WhatsApp was hacked with WhatsApp Web
While WhatsApp is a mobile messaging service for smartphones or smartphones, the social network has developed its WhatsApp Web version so that users can manage their chats from their personal computers. Thus, WhatsApp Web is synchronized with the WhatsApp installed on the mobile or cell phone and creates an exact copy of your account, with all your active chats and the list of stories uploaded by your friends. If someone opens WhatsApp Web with your account on a computer, without your consent, they will be able to view and send messages impersonating your identity.
Through WhatsApp Web you can check your active sessions on different devices and make sure if, indeed, someone has hacked your account. How to know if you have been tapped on WhatsApp? From WhatsApp Web you can get out of doubt.
- Open your favorite browser on your personal computer and search for WhatsApp Web.
- Check the QR code with your mobile to log in.
- To do this, open WhatsApp on your phone and, if you have Android, click on the upper right corner, where three vertical dots appear in the Menu, or, if you have iOS, go to the gear wheel icon “Settings”of Bottom right. Select “WhatsApp Web / Escritotrio”and then press the “+” icon or the option that indicates “Scan QR code”, depending on whether you have Android or iOS, to verify the QR code with the phone’s camera. You just have to point your camera at the computer screen to activate the login. If you have any doubts about how to use WhatsApp on your computer, we recommend this post.
- When you log in to WhatsApp Web, your phone will be notified instantly. Therefore, if you see this notification and you have not been the one to verify the login, you will know that someone is hacking your WhatsApp at that moment.
- Press the notification to open it and you will see the list of active sessions of your account on WhatsApp Web. You can also check this by opening WhatsApp and displaying the options or settings menu, as we explained in step number 3.
- Below the list of active sessions is an option that says “Close all sessions”. Press it and thus you will deny access to your WhatsApp on all computers where it is open.
How to know if my WhatsApp was hacked with the verification code
If you are still not sure how to know if your WhatsApp is controlled, you can appeal the verification code. A WhatsApp session can be opened on different computers at the same time via WhatsApp Web, but not on different smartphones.
If, for example, someone tries to hack your WhatsApp on their cell phone, they should have your phone or your mobile chip handy. When you want to activate an account on another device you will need a verification code sent via text message to the phone number associated with the account. When you enter the verification code, your account will stop working on your mobile and, when you open WhatsApp, you will immediately receive a notification that says “Your phone number is no longer registered with WhatsApp account on this device.” To recover your account, you must follow the following steps:
- Select VERIFY in the notification panel that appears when you open WhatsApp on your mobile.
- Wait for the verification code to arrive via SMS. Enter it and log in again on your mobile.
- Once your WhatsApp session is re-established, go to Settings (icon in the upper right corner of the screen) and select the Account menu.
- There, you’ll see an option that says “Two-Step Verification.” Activate it by setting a PIN code that you must enter the next time you want to log in on another phone. You must also associate your personal email.
- Although the person who wants to hack your WhatsApp can access the verification code via SMS, without the security PIN it will be impossible for them to activate the session on their mobile.
How to know if my WhatsApp Hacked with the encrypted code
The latest WhatsApp updates have optimized your protection against hacker attacks and mobile spy apps. However, if you change your mobile phone very often and have several WhatsApp Web sessions open, the security of your account can be seriously compromised.
If you recently logged into WhatsApp on another phone, there is a very effective way to know if your WhatsApp has been tapped. Each chat is protected with an encrypted code, which will tell you if the connection from your account is secure. This is how you should verify WhatsApp with the encrypted code:
- Open a chat of an active conversation on your WhatsApp.
- Open the chat options (upper right corner of the screen in Android and press the contact’s name in iOS) and select “View contact”.
- Open the option called “Encryption”.
- There you will see a QR code. Scan the code on your contact’s phone to confirm the security of the chat, encrypting the conversation from end to end. When you do, the QR code icon will turn green.
- When comparing all the digits that appear below the QR code, they must both matches. If they don’t match, your WhatsApp could be tapped or hacked.
Tips to prevent your WhatsApp from being Hacked
WhatsApp has made an effort to optimize user security, but it doesn’t hurt that each of us monitor and protect our account to avoid being hacked. How to do it? Following these simple tips to prevent your WhatsApp from being hacked:
- Whenever you change phones, turn on 2-Step Verification. In this way you will protect your chats with your PIN code and your email.
- Similarly, when logging into a new mobile, verify the encrypted code with a trusted friend, activating end-to-end encryption, as we have explained in the previous section.
- Avoid opening WhatsApp Web on other people’s computers. If you are forced to do so, don’t forget to log out before leaving your computer.
- Check active WhatsApp Web sessions frequently. Only one session in progress should appear, the one you have open on your personal computer.
- Do not leave your mobile at the expense of unscrupulous hands. Remember to have your screen locked to prevent anyone from handling your phone.
- Activate “Fingerprint Lock”. To do this, go to settings in your WhatsApp and open the Privacy menu. If you do not have this option on your mobile you can install a LOCK APP on your mobile, that is, an application to restrict access to your applications (mainly, social networks).
Now that you know several methods that answer your question about how to know if my WhatsApp was hacked, we recommend you read this other omethoate article on How to know if my mobile is being spied on.