How to Remove Bing from Default Search Engine
In this article, I’ll walk you through the steps necessary to change the default search engine in your browser from Bing to Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, and Microsoft Edge.
On the internet, search has developed into a very lucrative industry, and the various companies that provide search services are working extremely hard to secure a larger share of the market.
As a result of whatever else you were doing with your computer, you may occasionally find that your default search provider changes unexpectedly and on its own.
If you reset Internet Explorer, for example, you will notice that Bing is once again configured as your browser’s default search engine.
This is the case for most of other browsers as well. Even if you have Google set as your default search provider, you will see that Google search automatically switches to Bing whenever you reset Internet Explorer.
This occurs regardless of whether you had Google set as your preferred search provider. After a reset, the homepage of your Internet Explorer will be set to msn.com, as you will see in the following sentence:
Why Does my Search Engine Keep Changing to Bing?
If Bing has taken control of your browser, this is most likely to occur due to the issue of malicious malware entering your computer or an infection with adware or a potentially unwanted program (PUP).
The search engine Bing is a reliable option. Unfortunately, browser hijackers and other potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) frequently exploit Microsoft’s search engine as a method to either deliver advertisements that the user does not want to see or divert traffic to specific websites.
Evidently, people frequently experience a state of terror when they become aware of the strange behavior of the browser for the first time.
The upbeat news is that the Bing redirects hardly seldom represent an attempt at phishing or a full-fledged malware assault.
That is not to mean that any risks associated with Bing redirection that are not wanted are eliminated. They might direct you to websites that are infected with malware or include content that could make your device vulnerable to attack.
However, this kind of thing doesn’t happen very often.
Avoid clicking on anything if you find yourself unexpectedly diverted to Bing. It is possible that this will result in high-risk infestations of adware or malware.
Simply shut down the browser and delete the code or component that was responsible for this undesirable activity. Later on, we will demonstrate in detail how it is possible for you to carry out that task.
The presentation of obtrusive online adverts is the principal function that browser hijackers are responsible for.
They can also be used to record the actions you take within your browser and to collect personally identifying information, both of which can then be sold to a third party.
As can be seen, this could result in serious breaches of privacy and could even lead to identity theft in some cases.
It is really aggravating when you notice that your browser is behaving in a manner that you did not expect and is performing a number of actions without your permission.
Now that we’ve identified what makes this issue occur and discussed the potential consequences, let’s concentrate on the steps you need to take to reclaim control of your browser.
How To Remove Bing From Default Search Engine
What are some of the telltale signs that Bing is being used as the primary search provider?
If you begin typing a website’s url into the address bar of Internet Explorer, Bing search suggestion boxes will begin to appear, as demonstrated in the following image:
Changing your internet start page is something you should consider doing if you, like a lot of other people, would rather have a different page load when you start up Internet Explorer than the default page that comes up by default.
And if you think that other people always find interesting information and great websites on the internet, but your own internet searches are not always as satisfying as you would like them to be, you may want to consider removing Bing as your default search engine and switching to a search provider of your own choosing instead.
Related: How To Use Apple Pay At Walmart
Google is currently the internet search engine of choice for the vast majority of people on the internet today (According to Search Engine Watch, Google still leads the Search Engine marketplace with a 67.6 percent search engine, followed by Bing with 18.6 percent, Yahoo with 10 percent and then others like Ask and AOL with single digit percentages).
1. Launch Chrome and select More tools from the menu that appears. This menu can be accessed by clicking the three vertical dots in the top-right corner of Chrome.
2. Select Extensions from the menu that appears. This brings up a list of all extensions that have been installed in Chrome’s browser.
3. Delete any browser extensions that are associated with Bing. You can remove extensions from Chrome by selecting them and then clicking the Remove button.
Examples of such extensions include Microsoft Rewards, Give with Bing, Bing Pages, and Microsoft Bing FrontPage.
Because these extensions are dependent on Bing, disabling them will bring you one step closer to completely uninstalling the search engine from Chrome.
- If you find any other browser add-ons that you don’t want or don’t use, you have the option to get rid of those as well.
4. Navigate to the Settings tab by clicking the menu icon that looks like three dots. This is the same menu that you clicked on previously that has three dots.
5. Click Search engine. It can be found in the column to the left.
6. From the drop-down menu, select a search engine other than Bing to do your search. If you see the word “Bing” next to “Search engine used in the address bar,” click the menu button and choose another option.
- If the search engine that you wish to use is not displayed, go to Manage search engines, click the three dots that are located next to the name of your preferred search engine, and then select Make default from the drop-down menu that appears.
- To remove Bing from the list of search engines that are suggested, click the three dots that are located next to Bing, and then select Remove from list from the drop-down menu.
7. Look for references to Bing in the area labeled “On startup,” which can be found in the main panel only two sections below the “Search engine” section.
You have the ability to alter the page(s) that open in your browser to something other than Bing if your browser is configured to “Open a specified page or collection of pages.”
- As an alternative, you can select Open the New Tab page to ensure that Chrome always opens to a blank new tab or Continue where you left off to ensure that Chrome always opens to the page you were viewing before you closed it. Both of these options will cause Chrome to open to the page you were most recently viewing.
8. If you are still being routed to Bing, you should reset Chrome.
If you have finished with this procedure but are still seeing Bing when you use Chrome, resetting Chrome may be of assistance to you. This will remove all of your cookies as well as any pinned tabs, shortcuts, and preferences that you have saved. Your saved passwords, web surfing history, and bookmarks will all remain intact after the reset.
Here’s how to reset Google Chrome:
- To access the settings, click the menu button with the three dots on it.
- Go to the bottom of the page and click the Advanced button.
- On your Chromebook, Mac, or Linux computer, go to the Settings menu and select either Reset Settings or Restore Defaults (Windows).
- To confirm, click the Reset Settings button.
9. If you are still sent to Bing, perform a scan for viruses and other malicious software.
If you are still seeing Bing when searching or browsing the web at this stage, it is most likely because of a malware infestation known as Bing Redirect.
Conduct a scan for malicious software on your personal computer or Mac in order to identify and delete any potentially unwanted apps.
Repeat the steps in this approach to remove any traces of Bing that may still be present in Chrome after you have eliminated this or other malware of a similar nature.
- Malwarebytes is an excellent malware scanner that does not cost anything to utilize and is available for both Windows and macOS.
- You can also perform a scan using Windows Security, which, if you’re working with Windows, ought to be able to identify Bing Redirect without any problems.
In the Windows search box, type “security,” and then click the Windows Security link that appears in the results list.
Click the Virus and threat protection button, and then click the Scan options button. Next, click the Microsoft Defender Offline Scan option, and then follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
1. Launch Chrome and select the More… option from the menu that appears.
If you are utilizing an Android device, the dots will appear in a vertical orientation and will be located next to the address bar.
The dots will be horizontal and will be located in the bottom right corner of Chrome if you are using an iPhone or an iPad.
2. Select the Settings option from the menu.
3. Select the Search engine option. It should be in the “Basics” section if you’re working with an Android device. The second group of options is where you’ll find it if you have an iPhone or an iPad.
4. Use a search engine other than Bing. If you have Bing set as your default search engine, conducting a search from the address bar of your browser would cause the search to be conducted using Bing.
To avoid having Bing open up, select an alternative search engine from the drop-down menu above, such as Google or DuckDuckGo.
How to remove bing from On Google Chrome
The process of removing bing from Using the Chrome web browser
1. Launch Google Chrome and select “Settings” from the menu that appears.
2. Select More Tools, then select Extensions from the drop-down menu.
3. Get rid of any Bing Extensions that you come across.
4. After returning to the Menu, select Settings from the list of options.
5. Find Search Engine and select it using the button.
6. On the right side of the page, select the search engine that you want (Google, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo or Ecosia).
7. Restart Google Chrome on your computer. It is recommended that you reset Chrome or reinstall it if it is still set to utilize Bing as your default search engine.
How to remove bing from On Mozilla Firefox
1. Launch Mozilla Firefox and select Options from the Firefox menu (3 horizontal lines).
2. Select the Add-ons and themes you want to use.
3. Select Extensions from the menu on the left, and then get rid of any Bing extensions that you find.
4. After returning to the Menu, select Settings from the list of options.
5. Navigate to the Search tab on the left side of the page, and then locate the section labeled Default Search Engine on the right side.
6. Select the Internet search engine of your choice (Google, Amazon.com, DuckDuckGo or Wikipedia).
7. Relaunch Mozilla Firefox. Resetting or reinstalling Firefox is recommended if the browser is still set to utilize Bing as your default search engine.
How to remove bing from On Microsoft Edge
The process of removing bing from With regard to Microsoft Edge
1. Launch Microsoft Edge in your browser.
2. Navigate to the “Settings” option by first clicking the “Three Dots” menu in the upper right corner.
3. Choose to View Advanced Settings, and then select the button labeled Change search engine.
4. After selecting the Search Engine that you want to use, click the option labeled Set as default.
FAQs on How to Remove Bing from Default Search Engine
How do I get rid of the Bing search engine?
Eliminating the use of the Bing search engine will need a variety of adjustments to be made across various platforms.
You may remove Bing from Google Chrome, Safari, Microsoft Edge, Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, by following the instructions in our step-by-step guides, which are located above.
How do I stop Bing from hijacking my browser?
Users can easily prevent Bing from hijacking over your browser if you follow these steps. Remove the Bing extension from your browser, and make another search engine your default.
Because this solution is compatible with every internet platform, you can rapidly get rid of Bing by following its instructions.
We sincerely hope that our quick instruction was able to assist you in getting everything back to normal. If you have found this post to be helpful, please be sure to SHARE it with your loved ones and friends.